SPY×FAMILY CODE: White [Anime Review]

This is essentially just a Spy x Family fanfiction. 

╭──────────  · 𓆩🌻𓆪 ·  ─╮
╰─  · 𓆩🌻𓆪 ·  ──────────╯

Summary

In trying to obtain a Stella, the Forger family goes on an outing into the country of Frigis. They aim to taste Meremere, which is the favorite dessert of the cooking class judge at Eden Academy.
But as per usual, Anya gets into a much bigger mess that it might seem at first.
Having eaten a special chocolate, she gets on the naughty list of the military intelligence office.

And who is going to clean up the mess? Twilight and Thorn Princess, who else!

Genres: Action - Adventure - Comedy - Slice of Life - Supernatural
 Studio: Wit Studio - CloverWorks
Season: Fall 2023

╭──────────  · 𓆩🌻𓆪 ·  ─╮
╰─  · 𓆩🌻𓆪 ·  ──────────╯

I looooooove Spy x Family series. Right now, it's one of my MOST beloved anime series. I love the found family x adventure x comedy mix. I love the characters and their chemistry.
Seriously. I have not seen a slow burn this good in years!

It fills me with hope, makes me squeal and absolutely sells me on the "what can be" theories. Even if Loid and Yor don't end up together, and the Forgers will not work out in the end... I don't care!
I have enough content to create that ending for myself.

1st series did not leave much impression yet. I remember binging it in one day, awfully sad in college, not wanting to go to Psychology class. Oh bleh, those times.
Cour 2 of 1st season was AMAZING. And 2nd season blew me away so much, I finished the rest of the manga in 2 days.

When I noticed season 3 being announced, I almost jumped out of my pants. And that's when I discovered I was missing this gem. I had to wait for a weeks, since it was not available yet... but I finally got around to watch it and AWWWWWWW. I loved it.

Warning: this movie is not cannot and I will be spoiling all of it.

 𓆩🌻𓆪 ─────── 𓆩🌻𓆪 

👌 Love is in the air

Let's face it. A lot of Spy x Family fans are suckers for Loid x Yor romance. All the signs, all the details, all the side eyes and secret thoughts.
And this movie gave us a plenty of romance.

[AAAAAAAAAA]

[This woman sent him flying]

    

[SPILL THE BEANS, ANYA, IMMEDIATELY]

I admit, I am reading too much into lifeless eyes... but I just see it, alright?!

I know we are not officially there yet. But ask LITERALLY ANYONE and they will tell you, these two are down BAD.


👌 Leaning into all our favorite tropes

This movie was a total fanfiction. I write fanfictions, so I would know. Taking all the cannon things and incorporating it to a story, without being all that necessary. Playing all the favorite tropes, and using all the knowledge we have to make the story... sort of... more intense.

To paint a better picture: already mentioned love between Yor and Loid, Anya's catchphrases, her relationship with Second Son, her plushies/love for spies. Fiona being absolutely enamored with Loid. Yuri being weirdly obsessed with Yor + a look into their backstory. And even a slight look into Loid's backstory!

It takes what fans love, and gives it to us again. And it works. 

👌 The classical cliché retold in a favorite alternative universe is not so bad

CODE: White does not have... exactly a unique plot. Anya eats a chocolate which hides a microfilm. Bad guys find out so they try to capture her and wait for her to pass it. During all of that, the good guys try to get that microfilm as well.

The convenient coincidences happen on every step.
Anya conveniently  finds the key to the chocolate. Bond can conveniently see the Cherry Liquor they are looking for. The Liquor is conveniently  non-alcoholic so Anya can buy it. And more.

But... even if it's not original or anyhow better from the usual retellings, it works and it totally hooked me on.

👌 Action, action and more action!

Honestly. What do you want from me? Spy x Family is known for this. A spy and a assassin. Telepath kid and future-telling dog. Of course there is a lot of action!
And not bad action at all!

We get trains, we get planes, we get mountains, we get super robot, overpowered enemies, flames and fire everywhere...!!!
And the strongest weapon of them all - the power of love. 😂

[This is one of my favorite scenes from this movie. ALL of it was perfect. Plus. 
You know you're doing comedy right, when Anya is not ruining the moment, but ADDING to it.]


👌 Garden of Eden? More like Garden of Loo

You might have already caught on - this story is all about poo. From one point, somewhere just after the half of the movie, the story focuses on Anya having to pass the microfilm.
They might have spent at least 10 minutes on showing us how Anya was trying not to poop herself and they had a whole sequence about a Poop God.

I am awfully embarrassed to say that this is my sort of humor and I almost peed my pants. As a 22 year old adult woman that's hopefully about to finish college soon... I was laughing like a little kid at toilet humor...
[His eye is everything.]

[The reference. In case you were wondering.]

👌 Attention to detail or planning ahead?

Yor's lipstick. Sneijider's gourmet's nose... Those are two that really stuck with me. I mean, you see it, you think "haha what a cute/funny scene" and then it bits you in the ass and you're left gasping because damn, of course! how did I not think of this???

I love when shows pull a trick like this. Round of applause just for the lipstick...

    

In this lovely scene, all three of them are wearing green coat - but each in different shade. That can mean a lot of things.
The way they are a part of one family, but not one family exactly just yet.
It can symbolize who is hiding what, or how intense their feelings are. It can mean anything.

I am here for all the theories.


Bonus
👌 Why is Loid so attractive???

[Done with their shit.]

╭──────────  · 𓆩🌻𓆪 ·  ─╮
╰─  · 𓆩🌻𓆪 ·  ──────────╯

All in all, SPY×FAMILY is perfection on every front and if you haven't seen or read it yet, you are making a mistake.


Conclusionit's a must watch 💖  10/10